Sunday, June 07, 2020

HEAVY TUNES: Records I Listened to Over the Past Week or So, As Of June 7, 2020

last week had ... a lot.

June 2: you can probably guess this theme

  1. Vince Staples, Hell Can Wait (2014, Def Jam)
  2. Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell (1980, Warner Bros.)
  3. Iced Earth, Days of Purgatory (1997, Century Media)
    Christ it's embarrassing to like this record.
  4. Helium, The Dirt of Luck, (1995, Matador)

June 3: flailing

  1. Charles Mingus, Pithecanthropus Erectus (1956, Atlantic)
  2. Molly Nilsson (Top Tracks)
  3. Makthaverskan, Makthaverskan (2009)
  4. James Gang, Live In Concert, (1971, ABC)
    My uncle had this, but it was scratched to shit, so I haven't heard it since the late 80s. "Tend My Garden" and "Ashes the Rain and I" both rule. Everything else...
  5. Operators, Radiant Dawn (2019, Last Gang)
  6. Russian Circles, Memorial (2013, Sargent House)
  7. Jeff Beck, Wired (1976, Epic)
    This was one of the first tapes I bought when I started buying music. Some days it holds up. This day ... it really did not. But I can still whistle fairly long parts of "Led Boots".
  8. Future of the Left, Curses (2007, Too Pure)

June 5: long days, long weeks

  1. Oozing Wound, Earth Suck, (2015, Thrill Jockey)
  2. Can, Ege Bamyasi (1972, United Artists)
    Question of the day: Hey, so, do I still like Can? Answer? Not today, no.
  3. Run the Jewels, Run the Jewels 4
    Well, they can't all be winners.
  4. Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969, Reprise)
  5. Roxy Music, Manifesto (1979, Polydor)
  6. The Magnetic Fields, Quickies (2020, Nonesuch)
  7. Screaming Females, Live at the Hideout (2014, Don Giovanni)
    It had been a really long time since I had played this. That was a big mistake.
  8. Joy Division, Substance (1988, Factory)
    A cassette that changed my life.
  9. Soul Asylum, And the Horse they Rode in On (1990, A&M)
    I remember liking this a lot in high school. Apparently I was wrong about at least one thing in high school.

No comments: