Friday, January 18, 2019

Fat's 2018 in Movies

Rough year. I found 135 movies (or movie-like objects, including coherent seasons of TV (Fargo, say)) on my list, but every time I have looked at that list, I have had to close it in despair. And now I'm trying again. Order is mainly chronological by when I saw it.

By far the best times I had in the movie theater were: The Rider, Stop Making Sense, and Free Solo. (Sorry to Bother You would have made this list, but I accidentally saw it in Berkeley, instead of my beloved Oakland.) Best home watches: The Florida Project, Marie Antoinette, Damsels in Distress, Hereditary, and The Endless, the latter two of which actually, literally, cost me sleep. Everything else I saw, I think, would have to be counted as a major step down from those experiences. (Creep and Murder Party definitely get recommendations, if you're into that sort of thing.)

Tier 1: 2018 Good Stuff

  • The Florida Project
  • The Rider
  • Autopsy of Jane Doe
  • Sorry to Bother You
  • Leave No Trace
  • Free Solo
  • Hereditary
  • The Endless

Tier 1a: Good Stuff I Didn't See Until 2018

  • Wild Things
  • Walker
  • Good Time
  • Cruel Intentions
  • Stop Making Sense
  • Marie Antoinette
  • Children of Men
  • The Cutting Edge
  • Damsels in Distress

Tier 2: Okay / Above-Average / Decent / Memorable Stuff I Saw (or Maybe Rewatched) in 2018

  • Okja
  • The Dressmaker
  • The One I Love
  • The Intervention
  • Phantom Thread
  • Free Fire
  • Black Panther
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Square
  • The Killing of a Sacred Deer
  • Marjorie Prime
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  • The Gift
  • A Cure for Wellness
  • American Made
  • Devil in the Blue Dress (good rewatch)
  • Halloween (new one)
  • Into the Forest
  • The Overnight
  • Creep
  • Murder Party
  • rewatched Boogie Nights: yeah, holds up Party
  • Piranha (whatever, I liked it)

Yes, I Saw That

  • mother!
  • 47 Meters Down
  • The Shape of Water
  • Last Jedi
  • Annihilation
  • Red Sparrow
  • Avengers
  • The Commuter
  • Nocturnal Animals
  • Ravenous
  • The Meg
  • Byzantium
  • Ant-Man & the Wasp
  • Hold the Dark
  • The Apostle
  • First Reformed
  • Unsane
  • Blockers
  • Call Me By Your Name
  • Crazy Rich Asians
  • The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  • Only God Forgives
  • The Spy Who Dumped Me
  • Skyscraper

Worse Than That, I'm Not Even Gonna Mention

Stuff I Saw but Somehow Forgot to Put on the List

  • Days of Heaven (obviously Tier 1a)
  • The Reef (obviously Tier 2)
  • Adrift (hmm...)

No comments: