Thursday, August 11, 2022

Breakfast Club Breakfast Club Breakfast Club

Is there a categorization for the historical chronology of horror movies? My own taste starts with what I consider the modern era: Halloween (1978, John Carpenter) and Dawn of the Dead (1978, George A. Romero) to Evil Dead II (1987, Sam Raimi) and Opera (1987, Dario Argento). I’m very picky. I don’t like a lot of horror, but the ones I do I’m emphatic about. My latest joy is discovering The Return of the Living Dead (1985, Dan O’Bannon).
     The next phase begins with Scream (1996, Wes Craven). So I guess I’d call this the postmodern era. Here’s where I get lazy due to indifference. Because I only find the truly great works in that 1978-1987 period. There are a few exceptions. Horror never really goes away. But for the purpose of this piece I’m only mentioning these movies because of something most of them have in common: teens partying.

 


Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022, Halina Reijn) is a teen¹ psychological chamber drama that’s cleverly structured, and wonderfully portrays each individual in its ensemble. I don’t really like these characters. I really like these characters.
     Yeah maybe my biggest compliment about Bodies Bodies Bodies is that I can’t recall being so polarized by a group of characters anywhere else. They’re a little obnoxious, but they’re also relatable and I even empathize with their humanity—which makes them authentically compelling. And if what first lured me into horror movies was the diversionary tactic of being lulled into a false sense of security amid a bunch of teens indulging in immoral acts in pursuit of fun, Bodies Bodies Bodies kind of does the same thing only reverses one thing: the horror is in the service of the drama at its center.
     But I’m also relieved that the pacing worked for me because normally I hate movies that all take place in one location. I mean unless it’s the Overlook Hotel we’re talking about, it doesn’t take long for my attention to wander wondering if it was just a way to skimp on the budget. Another upside here is that I know the narrative works when I don’t fret over where the story is going or how it’s going to end (or worse, when it’s going to end). And the way this movie was handled in terms of plotting, right up to its conclusion was just a delight.
 
¹the characters aren't teens
 
8/10/2022 Regal Atlantic Station
Atlanta, GA
DCP

No comments: