Wednesday, August 03, 2022

&$#@%!

In this piece I will argue to prove my thesis that there is no system by which a movie can be judged as good or bad. Because if one considers a movie is made from: plot, character, dialogue, genre, and setting; and, say the movie fails in four of these five categories, as long as it succeeds in one, it could be considered a fine achievement.
     Furthermore, who is to say whether a movie succeeds or fails in any or all of these five categories? Or, if you tell me any one factor by which you would deem a movie crap (a failure), I could cite an example of another movie that I would call a success despite said factor.

 


Bullet Train (2022, David Leitch) is an action movie that’s fun and entertaining. But that isn’t to say it it’s not brilliant. Because most action movies I’ve seen in the theater haven’t absorbed my attention while continuously being entertained. So of the five categories I mentioned, the one in which Bullet Train proves itself is genre.
     But what is it that makes a great action movie? That’s a matter of opinion again no doubt. But for me, in the case of Bullet Train, it’s style. And starting with its look, think something like Japan as a concept. There’s one car on the train in particular where the lighting fixtures cast it in saturated hues of cool blues, purple, and pink, for example. Think neon. Think Tokyo. Think Michael Bay lighting that nightclub in The Island (2005).
     And beyond the look, there’s also a sensibility. What lured me into watching anime is trying to find a particular technique I’d stumbled upon where non-sequitur off-model incongruous animation styles depict brief cutaway breaks with the narrative for a heightened comedic effect. Now, I’m not saying that happens in Bullet Train, but it reminds me of the feel I got watching all of these relentless interludes of montagecore (set to rock) flashbacks.
     Also, I’m going to refrain from listing any examples of what other kinds of action movies Bullet Train reminds me of, because that’s tacky. But you know the ones I’m talking about: the ensemble cast of comedically colorful criminals that are set up as gravitating around one unifying narrative objective. And that’s my final take on the influence of manga or anime, the way the world of Bullet Train has its own charm. The characters inhabiting this world are solely in service of style. They’re not nasty. They’re cool, entertaining, fun.
     So in a more nuanced subjective way than I’m used to trying to express, something about Brad Pitt’s character, LADYBUG, clicked with me. I love Brad Pitt. He’s got that movie star quality where even in a movie like Bullet Train, when he’s casually, relaxed, even when the stakes of the narrative are ramped up adrenaline perilous extreme, that gives a fun contrast. I love Ladybug’s wardrobe. The dude is a step above Lebowski level loungewear. There’s a line LEMON (Brian Tyree Henry) says something about Ladybug like “you look like every homeless white guy I ever seen.” Yep. And because of him, I relaxed. 
     And while I was relaxed, I was entertained, and didn’t sweat the story, but still kept gradually being pulled in just a little more and wanting to see where this all was going. But in the best way. I felt like nothing was forced. I don’t care why all these people are on this train, because I like finding out as you go.
 
8/02/2022 AMC Madison Yards 8
Atlanta, GA
DCP
 

No comments: